Elevate Online Nutrition Series 2021 - Sponsored by Pomme Natural Market
This 3-Part nutrition series delves into nutrition from three different angles: the parent, the athlete and the coach.
Participants may register for one, two, or all sessions. Each session costs $8.00, or receive a discounted rate of $20.00 if you register for all three.
Our friends at Pomme Natural Market have come on board as a fitting sponsor for this series, and we are excited to annouce that two $50 gift cards to Pomme Natural Market will be given away during each event! Learn more about Pomme Natural Market below.
1. Nutrition for Parents to Support their Child Athlete | January 20, 2021 | 6:00pm-8:00pm
This presentation will provide an overview of nutrition fundamentals and provide strategies and tips for parents to support their children’s nutrition. The presentation will discuss key macronutrients, the importance of nutrition for athletes, strategies for meal preparation, seasonal eating tips, grab-and-go snack ideas and discuss how to incorporate the information into a simple meal outline for a busy athlete.Learning Objectives:
- Understand the fundamentals of nutrition and the key macronutrients
- Learn about the importance of each macronutrient and examples
- Develop an understanding of the importance of nutrition for athletes
- Develop strategies for navigating meal preparation with a busy schedule
- Tips for eating seasonally and winter food ideas
- Review grab-and-go snack examples to help fuel athletes
- Incorporate information into developing a simple meal outline for a busy athlete
2. Nutrition for High Performance athletes | January 27, 2021 | 6:00pm-8:00pm
This presentation will discuss nutrition for athletes in-depth, looking at the biochemical side of nutrition, the importance of micronutrients, foods that support the immune system, and discuss key components of nutrient timing to optimize recovery.
- Understand what happens to the food we eat at a biochemical level
- Learn about the interaction between various nutrients that can increase or impair absorption and bioavailability.
- Develop an understanding of the important role micronutrients play
- Discuss foods that support your immune system
- Discuss key components of nutrient timing to optimize recovery
3. How Coaches can Support their Athletes’ Nutrition | February 3, 2021 | 6:00pm-8:00pm
This presentation will focus on strategies for coaches to support their athletes’ nutrition. The presentation will address nutritional impacts on performance, strategies for fueling before, during and after competition, how to have appropriate conversations around food and intake with athletes, discuss practical tips for helping athletes track nutrition, and discuss the importance of understanding the unique nutrition needs of athletes.Learning Objectives:
- Understand the impact nutrition can have on performance at practice and in competition
- Discuss strategies and tips for fuelling before, during and after competition
- Discuss strategies for navigating conversations around food and intake of athletes
- Learn about practical tools that can support athletes and their nutrition
- Discuss the importance of recognizing the unique nutrition needs of athletes
About the Presenter, Alison Quinlan
Alison Quinlan is a registered dietitian, mental performance consultant and avid athlete. Alison competed for UVic in golf at and continued to compete after graduation down in the states on mini-professional tours. She then completed a Master's of Science in Kinesiology at Uvic and worked as a mental performance consultant with athletes from various sports before returning to school to become a registered dietitian. Alison combines her passion areas of nutrition with the mental side to help empower athletes to create changes that contribute to their sport performance and overall enjoyment as an athlete.
About the Sponsor, Pomme Natural Market
Pomme Natural Market is 100% BC owned and operated with locations in Port Coquitlam and Nanaimo. They feature groceries selected with the highest ethical and nutritional standards, organic and local spray-free produce, and a wide range of top quality natural supplements and skincare. Pomme makes the healthiest, most forward-thinking food choices easy!
Visit their website at https://www.pommenaturalmarket.com