PacificSport Vancouver Island staff facilitate coaching and mentoring courses year round!
Please see below for our upcoming courses!
HIGH FIVE - Principles of Healthy Child Development - November 2, 2019
This one-day training will help front-line leaders (anyone working with children aged 6 to 12 – i.e. camp counsellor, coaches, swim instructors) improve the quality of programs. It provides in depth training in the HIGH FIVE Principles of healthy child development so front-line leaders understand what they need to do to ensure each child’s social, emotional and cognitive needs are met. Leaders learn activities and gain knowledge, tips and resources to enhance their programs as well as their relationships with children and other staff members. Topics also include bullying, conflict resolution, physical literacy, children’s mental health and moderate to vigorous physical activity.
At the completion of this training, learners will be able to:
- Design an activity plan to enhance a child's physical and mental health
- Build healthy relationships in all areas of programming for children
- Create environments and spaces that foster healthy child development
Leading Drug Free Sport - November 23, 2019
After taking Leading Drug-free Sport you will be able to:
- Full understand and explain the consequences of using banned substances in sport;
- Educate athletes about drug-testing protocols at major competitions;
- Encourage athletes to safeguard their sport values and take greater responsibility for their personal actions;
- Apply the NCCP Ethical Decision-Making Model to your coaching as it relates to keeping your sport and athletes drug free
Cost: $ 60.00
Fundamental Movement Skills - November 30, 2019
In developing and teaching a child, we break down simple skills into key components to help the child learn and understand. Given the opportunity to learn a wide range of physical skills, children acquire the basic building blocks for the competence, confidence and motivation to try many physical activities and sports.
Fundamental movement skills are very important to a child’s physical development. When confident and competent in these skills, children can develop sport-specific and complex movement skills.
These skills allow children to enjoy sports and physical activities. Most importantly, with a firm grasp of the fundamental movement skills, a child may enjoy a long life of physical activity.
The learning activities in this workshop will prepare you to:
Detect and correct basic errors for fundamental movement skills in participants so they have a choice to adopt a healthy, active lifestyle
Apply a teaching process to fundamental movement skills
Adapt fundamental movement skills for participants with intellectual, physical, sensory or behavioural disabilities
Lead activities that will promote the development of fundamental movement skills in a safe, responsible manner while interacting with others
Provide stage-appropriate feedback to encourage and develop fundamental movement skills in participants
Psychology of Performance - December 1, 2019
Coaches looking to increase their knowledge on the role that mental training can impact their coaching practice are encouraged to take this course. Coaches will enhance their learning in key mental training areas around vizualization, focus strategies, goal setting, and communication.
Completing Psychology of Performance will allow you to:
- Helf athletes learn to manage distractions and use visualization techniques to prepare themselves technically and tactically for training and competition;
- Learn how to work with athletes or teams to identify performance and process goals related to their ability to focus on performance;
- Learn debriefing skills that can be used to help athletes assess their performance in both training and competition.